Search Engine Optimization (SEO), or website optimization, is the process of making changes to your website so that it will appear higher in search engine results pages (SERPS).
Based on a number of factors, search engines evaluate your website’s relevance and readability before assigning it a position or ranking on the search engine results page. The more relevance the search engines determine your website has for a given search, the higher the website will rank.
When you consider that more than 60% of Internet users will not look beyond the first page of search results, it’s important to use search engine optimization to push your ranking as high as possible. SEO services for website optimization address a variety of factors, including: keyword selection, adding and refreshing content, creating search-engine friendly design, building links, and resolving technical issues that may drive search engines away.
Elements of Websites to Optimize
Depending on the company’s goal, website optimization could include testing:
- A headline, or key messages related to the company’s value proposition.
- The use of visual media, like photography or a video.
- The length of a form, varying the number of required fields or the order of completion.
- The visual style, text, and placement of a call to action (CTA) button or link.
- The organization of the website’s navigation.
- The placement of social sharing functionality.
- The appearance and organization of the webpage for a visitor on a mobile device.
Landing pages for marketing campaigns are also often an area of a website that can be optimized, because of the high-quality traffic that is being sent there by ads, email, or social media. Website owners can also conduct website optimization on multi-page processes on their websites, like a free trial signup, a checkout funnel, or any multi-page form.