If you are new to SEO, then you are sure to have questions about what some of the jargon means. Here you will find a list of the most common terms you are likely to encounter. Do you want to optimize your website but have trouble communicating with the technical folks running it?
Install a WordPress Theme – WordPress is one of the most used Content Management Systems used today. This platform is basically used for bloggers, however it can also be used to effectively manage small commercial websites. One of the best way to create a website with WordPress backend is to install a WordPress theme that suits your needs. One can hire any firm or web programmer to make their own WordPress theme from scratch, or one can also buy pre-created WordPress themes.
Installing a WordPress theme, could be a headache for a beginner, specially if, this requires manual method. Many themes come pre-installed on hosting servers, however, if you wish to use any other theme, you have bought or created, you would have to follow the manual method to do it.
Here are few steps, which would help you out in case you need manual method to install the WordPress theme.
1. First we need to get the data, which would help in ftp transfer. For this please open the website hosting control panel, by entering the username and password.
2. Once the control panel is open, you will have to find the button labeled “FTP” (These steps largely depend on the website hosting provider whose service you are using)
3. Now you will be shown the ftp host -> copy this part and paste it on a word file for further use. Check if port number is given, if given, also copy this part and paste it in next line of word file.
4. Find the ftp username and password. If not sure, make your own ftp username and password. If asked for granting permissions, grant all permissions to this user. Record this username and password on the word file.
5. Now, we will have to install a software named “Filezilla” to manually install the theme. To do this follow steps given below:
6. Open the browser and open google.com
7. Search for “Filezilla”. (This is the software to manually upload the WordPress theme through ftp interface)
8. Now install the software on your computer.
9. Open the Filezilla program -> Click on “File” menu option -> Click on “Site Manager”
10. On the left down side of the Site Manager Box, click on the “New Site” option
11. Populate the host with host information earlier recorded in the word file.
12. Enter the port number in the “port” text box
13. Change the logon type to “normal”. (This will enable the username and password fields)
14. Enter the username and password as recorded on word file.
15. Then click connect. This will connect filezilla to your website ftp server.
16. Now, you should unzip the WordPress theme file on to your desktop in appropriate folder.
17. Now come back to filezilla interface and navigate to your desktop and the folder in which you have unzipped your WordPress theme. Don’t navigate inside the theme folder. (This would be done on the left side navigation window “Local site”)
18. Now in the right side navigation window of filezilla, you will see the home folder of your website, which would be WordPress.
19. Inside WordPress, you would find “wp-content” folder, you should navigate into that folder and then into the “Theme” folder.
20. Now drag and drop the unzipped theme folder from the left window to the “Theme” folder opened in the right navigation window.
21. This will copy all the contents of the theme folder to your WordPress website.
22. Now, wait for the all the files to be transferred, this may take some time and it depends upon the number of files in your WordPress theme
23. Now close the filezilla software and again open the web browser
24. Open the backend of your WordPress website, and enter the username and password to go to the WordPress control panel.
25. In this panel, you will find the themes option in the left side menu.
26. Click on themes option and now your theme will be displayed in the list of themes.
27. Click on the “activate” button under the theme you want to enable on your website.
28. This will enable the WordPress theme on your website.
And congratulations, your WordPress theme is installed on your WordPress website. If you find it difficult, please let me know, I would further help you out.